Shopping list between Atlanta and Asheville, culled from various sources:
- Peaches: “If you’re fixin’ to freeze ‘em, best wait till Thursday.” Yes, ma’am.
- Melons: so huge I’m not sure I could lift one alone.
- Peanuts: green and still warm from their briny bath.
- Cheerwine: by the case when available; in a cold glass bottle when not.
- Pimento Cheese and Pork Rinds: no explanation needed, I hope. We are aficionados of both.
- Scuffydines: huge green grapes that taste of honey. Nip a hole, suck out the insides, and spit the seeds into the empty skin. Possibly a hybrid of scuppernong and muscadine. “How do you spell that?” I asked. “Well, I don’t know,” she responded, astonished. I suppose she’d never needed to spell it before. There’s something to be said for that.